Friday, May 2, 2008

October Surprise-2008 Election


This is like the 5th painting in my latest series "Cirque de la Nuit".
Lately I find my work influenced by current events, and so just going with it waiting to see where it takes my art.
You can see some of what I've finished so far at my website:
http://TheRobGallery.com (side link on my blog).
-----------------------------------------------------------------
An October surprise is American political jargon describing a news event with the potential to influence the outcome of an election, particularly one for the presidency. It is so called because Election Day in the U.S. is the Tuesday after the first Monday in November, and events shortly before the election have greater potential to swing votes. Most of the time, the term is used to label actions of a sitting president, especially with regard to military or foreign policy matters, but it can also apply to news stories unfavorable to the incumbent administration. "Historically, news outlets avoid investigative pieces critical of candidates within days of an election to avoid appearing partisan." [1] Particularly since the 1980 election, the term has been pre-emptively used to discredit late-campaign news by one side or the other.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_surprise

No comments: